Maria Jose Alarcon
Legal Associate / Business Consultant
Maria joined Cotney in 2020. Maria is an international attorney licensed to practice law in Ecuador and Spain. She has broad experience in international arbitration and corporate transactions in the energy and infrastructure sectors. At Cotney, Maria handles international law issues and conducts research on foreign direct investment relating to energy and infrastructure projects. Maria is fluent in Spanish and English and proficient in French.
Maria earned her LL.M. with an Environmental Law Certificate at Duke University School of Law where she performed research at the Global Financial Markets Center. Her research focused on climate change and financial innovation. Before graduating from Duke, Maria attended Harvard University Summer School, founded and led the model Unvied Nations Club at Universidad de Navarra, and served as a Chair of Harvard Model United Nations at IE Business School.
Prior to joining Cotney, Maria worked as an associate in Europe in the energy and infrastructure department of a prestigious law firm. Additionally, Maria has been a senior consultant for the Food and Agriculture Organization in the United Nations in international law issues and the Head Counsel of Civil Litigation and Research at a prominent law firm in Ecuador.
- Cotney, Tampa, FL, Associate Attorney, November 2020 – Present
- Meythaler & Zambrano Abogados, Quito, Ecuador, Head Counsel, January 2018 – May 2019
- King & Wood Mallesons, Associate & Legal Intern, Madrid, Spain, June 2016 – July 2017
- Ministry of Hydrocarbons, Lawyer, Quito, Ecuador, August 2014 – August 2015
- Corporate Finance & Transactions
- International Law
- Construction & Infrastructure Law
- Business Consulting
- Duke University School of Law, LL.M., with Environmental Law Certificate
- IE Business School, Dual LLM in Corporate Law & Spanish General Law
- Universidad De Los Hemisferios, Attorney at Law
- Universidad de Navarra, LL.B in Global Law
- Harvard University Summer School, Comparative Politics & Financial Accounting